market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] smother cover crop under sweet corn

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] smother cover crop under sweet corn
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 12:31:52 -0400

On Mar 15, 2010, at 11:52 AM, Greg York wrote:

Has anyone had success establishing a smother cover crop under sweetcorn?  We transplant our sweetcorn into the field and cultivate until the crop is about 2’ high.  At that point I’d like to sow a cover crop under the corn that will germinate and grow quickly enough to shade out any broadleaf weeds until harvest is over.  We grow several 72-80 day varieties.  I know some folks relay different clovers into corn, but it sounds like the majority of the growth of those covers happen after the corn is harvested and/or flailed off.  Has anyone tried soybeans?  Any other successful cover crops for weed control?

Greg
Zone 5, southern Catskills

I've heard of people using buckwheat for this, but haven't tried it myself.