market-farming - [Market-farming] smother cover crop under sweet corn

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Greg York <gyork AT sdtc.org>
  • To: 'Market Farming' <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] smother cover crop under sweet corn
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 11:52:46 -0400

Has anyone had success establishing a smother cover crop under sweetcorn?  We transplant our sweetcorn into the field and cultivate until the crop is about 2’ high.  At that point I’d like to sow a cover crop under the corn that will germinate and grow quickly enough to shade out any broadleaf weeds until harvest is over.  We grow several 72-80 day varieties.  I know some folks relay different clovers into corn, but it sounds like the majority of the growth of those covers happen after the corn is harvested and/or flailed off.  Has anyone tried soybeans?  Any other successful cover crops for weed control?

Greg

Zone 5, southern Catskills

Confidentiality Notice
This email and the information contained herein and attachments hereto are privileged and confidential information and may include Personal Health Information and are intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this email is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any forwarding, dissemination, distribution or copying of this email and/or its attachments, or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents thereof, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by return email or telephone, delete the email and any attachments and destroy any tangible manifestation thereof. Thank you.