market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] smother cover crop under sweet corn

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wyatt Jones" <wyatt_jones AT netzero.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] smother cover crop under sweet corn
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 15:49:04 -0400

I haven't tried using soybeans as a smother crop with sweet corn but I have used it with pumpkins and it worked pretty well.  Corn is going to inhibit the soy bean growth as it blocks a lot of sun.   My problem with clover is getting a good stand to come up in time to do any good.  I have a feeling the best solution might be to plant clover very early then use a no till planter to plant the sweet corn after it comes up but as I haven't got a no till planter I haven't tried it as of yet.

Nutrition