market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] How do you irrigate?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <sunnfarm AT netscape.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] How do you irrigate?
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 11:32:04 -0700

Southeast PA. soils are generally heavy and even in a very dry year without irrigation the reigon of Lancaster, Chester, Berks and Lebanon counties always have some of the best looking crops in the northeast. You probably will not need as much water as you think. I grew all types of vegetable crops on those eastern PA limestone soils for years without irrigation and never lost a crop. There is a usefull moisture reserve in the subsoil that gets you through dry spells as long as your not in a hardpan area. Here in NJ we have an aquifer 20ft down that gives us unlimited water, my 6" 80ft deep well capacity is 300gpm...Bob.