market-farming - [Market-farming] bird netting

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Bobbett <bobbett AT windstream.net>
  • To: Organic HomesteadingGardening <organichomesteadinggardening AT yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] bird netting
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 16:13:12 -0400

I am going nuts because I can't find the bird netting I want. I could swear that last year in one of my many, many garden catalogs I saw where it was sold it 28' wide by any length I wanted. I would have to call for pricing and to place the customer order. Now I can't find it anywhere!

I've been looking on the web for hours today, and can't find anything like that at all. Everything's either too narrow or hundreds and hundreds of dollars because it's heavy-duty or high quality. I just need the stuff like they sell for covering ponds or Bird-x netting.

Does anyone know of a source of netting *at a reasonable cost* that's 28' wide (I can find 14' & 17') where I can buy any length I want?

Alternately, anyone have any suggestions on how I could sew this stuff together? If I can't find the buy-the-foot netting then I'll be sewing at least one if not two 28x28' squares together. It would have to be sewn together to last through weather year after year after year. I'm thinking: nylon-type thread (ie: fishing line). Can that be used in a sewing machine? Does it come on spools? Ideas welcomed.

ty,
Bobbett