market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] How do you irrigate?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Robinson <rrobinson AT nasw.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] How do you irrigate?
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 15:39:46 -0400

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 19:37:45 -0400, Alliums wrote:

> I’m looking at a 7 acre property that doesn’t have a water source (unusual
>in
> Southeastern PA).  It has a well for the house, but nothing else.  Should we
> dig another well for irrigation?  Should we gather the water that flows to
> the bottom of the property into a pond?  If we do a well, should we have a
> holding tank and if so, how big?

Ideally you'd like to know the capacity of the well. If it's big enough, you
might do fine with just that well. The homeowner might still have records (I
have mine from 20 years ago), or the local Board of Health might have them.
Or the well driller might be able to tell you. The well may be able to
deliver more than the current pump can, in which case you may want to factor
in a new pump, rather than a new well.

--
Richard Robinson
http://www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/