market-farming - [Market-farming] Two-handed picking...cherry tomatoes etc.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Harriet Allen <hattie_allen AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Two-handed picking...cherry tomatoes etc.
  • Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 18:54:46 -0800 (PST)

I also like to pick my cherry tomatoes with both hands.  I was taught when cutting flowers to always have your next flower in your sight as you are cutting.  It is the same with any harvesting really.  Once your hand is on the tomato, or nearing it, you should be looking at the next pick.  Your eyes are fast, so doing it with both hands isn't hard and really gets to be fun to see how well  you can do this. I'm also careful not to move up and down the row, but to stay where I am and pick everything within reach before moving. If I can reach it easily, I pick it, even if it is on the other side, etc....I figure I might never see it again.