market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Worms and manure

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: SaladG AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Worms and manure
  • Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 16:43:01 EST

That is the right one and it was quite a couple of days.  So much to try to absorb in a couple of days, but if you had a question Will was always willing to answer it, what a giant of a person. It was so interesting to watch the girls to cut the greens all morning and wash and see the SYSCO truck stop by and pick up seven large tote's of baby greens for the schools in Milwaukee and Chicago, and this goes on everyday of the week.  Have an offer to go back on the 20 & 21 of this month and fly back and I think we may them up on it.  Our local foods group is working on trying to set up a similar system in our county to help with local foods growing and growing new growers in an urban area.  One think that will always stick with me about this trip was you can grow in the winter without a lot of energy.  This place throws away nothing, Will finds a use for trash, old food, snow ,run off water, or about anything that was consider as trash he uses.  The city have routes that pick up garbage and most of the restaurant leftovers end up in his digester .

There is so much to be absorbed you can't really get full effect with only one visit,and that is why I'm planning a future visit.  This is the most complex three acre's I've ever seen and not spending a lot of money to  achieve his goal's.  He had two new projects going when we were there, solar panels to cover  80% of his daily usage and the plans for a high rise glass structure.

One note of interest they operate on a 1.3 Million Dollar budget.

Phil