market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Worms and manure

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Bill Scheffler <pureprairie AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Worms and manure
  • Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2010 10:10:07 -0600

Will Allen is doing great, important work.  Phil mentioned the 1.3M
budget.  I certainly don't have facts or details but it is important
for people on this list to know that Growing Power relies extensively
on grant money.

I was there 10 years and I thought his crops had poor vigor and were bloated.

My friend was trying to get Will to add rock powders to the worm bins so the castings
would have predigested minerals but Will had a hard time to understand this point.

I thought the castings lacked enough carbs...it felt too rich...too moist.  It was holding
too much water.

Aquaponic crops tend to be waterlogged and have bland flavor because of low
minerals, especially available calcium.  They are almost universally very low brix.

It will have some flavor because it is fresh but keeping quality, complexity and
richness of flavors is poor.  The aromatic compounds that create aroma and improve
digestion are lacking.

Will mentioned some ideas he was working on and I asked him how he would
finance it and he said that money "was no problem".  He can write something
on the back of an envelope and get a check a month later.  I am exhagerating
but only slightly.

Using local food scraps, adding minerals to improve and optimize fertility,
composting with microbes and finish composting with the worms, is a fantastic
concept and can easily be developed.  My friend was trying to help Will set this up
10 years ago.

The people who live in that area are far removed from any connection to the land
and Will is in the thick of it trying to raise conciousness and is doing a great job
of it.  He has boundless energy.

I hope this helps.

Bill
Chicago, z5

ps; Just a reminder that manure is what is left over *after* the minerals have
been extracted by the digestive system of the animal.  Composted manures
usually test high in microbes, high in ammonia (partially digested proteins),
high in available potassium and sodium and low in calcium and phosphorus.
Adding lime, bone meal (or soft rock phosphate) helps tremendously.

I have tested (Morgan extract) horse manure, Vermont Compost and Cashton (Wisc)
compost and they were all similar.  The EC reading from the Cashton sample
would burn any seedling that was planted in it.  Very high in sodium.

Please blend carefully.