market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] ideas for daily to do list

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "cjmaness AT juno.com" <cjmaness AT juno.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] ideas for daily to do list
  • Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 15:26:35 GMT

My son is 7. He does help, but he likes hoeing better than cleaning house.
I'm not one to discourage anyone who wants to hoe.
It's always reassuring to know I'm not the only one with a less than spotless
house. I guess I have too many non-farming friends and relatives who walk in
the house, their eyes get really wide, and they sort of look at each other
with that oh my gosh look. Sorry! I can either pick the veggies or clean the
house. Not enough time to do both!
I read something years ago, can't remember where though, but it was along
the lines of the house is clean in the winter time, or you know you are a
farmer when you own 10 pairs of Levi's and they all have holes in the knees,
etc...
As for the e-coli discussions I was telling my husband about it. His theory
is that the world has become too clean. Not enough kids/people outside eating
dirt. Well, you know the wind blows, the dirt is in your face etc...
I don't remember anyone getting sick from food when I was a kid. Maybe they
did, and I just don't remember, but I don't remember food recalls, or
anything like that. What has changed? Of course back then if you wanted
lettuce your choice was iceberg and it came in a head, not a ready to eat
mix. My mom scrubbed the kitchen with plain ole soap and water, not
disinfecting wipes or cleaners.
Carla
Perkins, OK and we are transplanting Cole crops as soon as the tractor driver
gets here!