market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Perfecta harrow

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <sunnfarm AT netscape.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Perfecta harrow
  • Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 07:04:15 -0800

The perfecta harrow is just a standard field cultivator with a roll cage on
the back. I have a similar one built by JD that is 7ft wide and works great
on smaller tractors. I do not have the roll cage instead I use a drag beam.
The roll cage is what makes the final seed bed flat and smooth with little
ripples that hold the soil. All the larger grain growers in my neighborhood
use them before seeding wheat. One major problem with this harrow is that it
will pull up trash. All that cover crop you plowed under will be back on top.
This is why I prefer a disc harrow with a leveling beam for preparing seed
beds for sweetcorn. You might look at Brillion Co. I think they make a
smaller version of the perfecta. My neighbor uses one to level their horse
trails and it does a great job where OM is not an issue... Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.