market-farming - [Market-farming] ARS Has Patented a Forage Plant that Wards off Ruminant Gastrointestinal Nematode

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "TxBeeFarmer" <txbeefarmer AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] ARS Has Patented a Forage Plant that Wards off Ruminant Gastrointestinal Nematode
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 09:23:32 -0600

This is the link to the article: http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2010/100218.htm

I'm not sending posting this information because I want you all to know about the ARS findings - although they are very interesting.  What I'm wondering about is the "patent".  What exactly does this mean?  Does it mean ARES owns the grass now and can charge for it if we have it?  If so, how can they take OUR tax dollars to pay for research, patent what they find, and charge us for it?  I sure hope I'm wrong in my thinking!  What else have they patented?!  Please explain this to me.

Thanks
TxBeeFarmer (Mark)
West Texas Zone 7b