market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Williams tool system

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "David Inglis" <mhcsa AT verizon.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Williams tool system
  • Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 02:26:13 -0500

Dave,
In your system, do the guide wheels follow the tailings of the tractor, or are they offset, like the illustration on the Bezzerides website.

I weed one bed at a time.

I'm curious if the tractor could erode the groove that the wheels ride in.
The guide wheels in my set up run on the edge, the shoulder, of the bed I am weeding, not between rows; this is also the path the tractor wheel runs in. In other words my tractor tires are on 60” centers and form a 12” path and the bed top is a little under 48”. These are permanent beds and all tillage and weeding operations are all done in the actual bed, the pathway only gets weeded [Bezz. Spyders] . This means all my equipment is built to match this bed system. There are ‘half sweeps’ on the guide system that clear out any soil that falls into the pathway due to the weeding that is being done. The only time I lose track of the beds is when I am ridging Tatties and even then if the ridging is done evenly the guide wheels still track.
Do you think hand transplanting would be troublesome with this system, even if you use the same set-up to mark the beds?

No.

Finally, do you think the guidance system would be useful on a smaller set-up than the Williams tool system - i.e. on a single toolbar?  I'm curious if  I could make use of the guide wheels while I work up to a Williams tool system.

It would be useful but probably to expensive to justify.

Dave

thanks,
chris
Dave Inglis