market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Multi-planting onion starts

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Multi-planting onion starts
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 12:48:33 -0500

On Jan 25, 2010, at 12:41 PM, Wiediger, Alison wrote:

If you are growing for your own use, it may be fine.  When we tried it, we got onions with flat sides and our customers wouldn't buy them.

Interesting. Mine always come out normally rounded overall; maybe an occasional one that's flattened, but not a significant percentage.

I wonder if it's a difference in varieties, or in soil conditions? I've grown a number of different varieties; usually most of the crop is Copra and Redwing, but I've trialled quite a few others.