market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] USDA Hoophouse

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] USDA Hoophouse
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 16:21:13 -0500

I'd love to have ours up all year but we have been told that one of the requirements of the program is to take it down.

I am still confused by the allotment of money per square foot.  I think our EQUIP/NRCS rep was confused and used the e.g. as the actual cap.  All the documentation I have simply used .94 as a example cost per square foot with the program covering up to 50% of that per sq ft cost.  He's been telling me that they only cover 50% of the cost and then that cost would be just shy of .50 per sq foot.

Guess I need to make some more phone calls this week.

I am still surprised that the program calls for the removal of the plastic.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855

(513) 967-1106

On Jan 24, 2010, at 4:01 PM, Seasons Eatings Farm wrote:

>>Lists are still be generated so obviously no one has been awarded any hoophouse grants yet.  What are folks thoughts on the matter now that we know what's what.

The deadline in Maine is February 19. Decisions will be made by February 28.

>>They'll cover half the cost of about 2100 2/ft.  No electrical, cannot have it up during snow and ice season, and no fans or mechanical vents.  Just a simple structure that can be up for three seasons of the year.

$3.75 sq ft here. No electric, heat, storage, buckets. We can leave them covered.  We had 120" of snow the last two winters and had no problems with 1.66 od steel and two layers of poly.

Josh, it's 31*, no wind and a clear sky here today.  It was 70* inside one of the tunnels at 2 pm.  I pulled carrots and cut lettuce this afternoon. The ground is frozen about 11" in.  I'm in USDA zone 4/5.

Robin Follette
Seasons Eatings Farm
Talmadge ME 04492