market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] USDA Hoophouse

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: maggiepalmer AT wyoming.com, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] USDA Hoophouse
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 13:37:10 -0500

3.30 a square foot?  Seriously?  We've been told right around .50.  That is a ridiculous difference.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855

(513) 967-1106

Providing quality, healthy food to the following:
Chalk Food + Wiine
Jean Ro Bistro
Orchids
Local 127
Savor Catering & Events

On Jan 24, 2010, at 12:45 PM, Maggie Palmer wrote:

We are in the running for the NRCS program here in Wyoming.  Since we are "Beginning Farmers" we qualify for a rate of $3.30/sq ft.  We will be allowed to keep the structure up year 'round if we can provide a guarantee from the manufacturer that it is safe from wind and snow.  It would not behoove us to take it down as we wouldn't be able to put the plastic on until at least May which does not provide any season extension benefits.

I'll be meeting with NRCS this week and I will ask about double plastic and inflation which is beneficial in our part of the country.  We already have one 30x48 hoophouse set up this way which has not been impacted by the snow or wind.  Still have spinach from last fall.  Even when it's minus 30 outside, it's only dropped to 17 above under the spinach blankies.

Maggie Palmer