market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Guinea fowl in the Garden?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <alison.wiediger AT hart.kyschools.us>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Guinea fowl in the Garden?
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 07:59:10 -0600

Breck,

We have found that "pasturing" our pastured layers over our asparagus has two very good effects.  Our asparagus beetle population had declined considerably, and our asparagus production has really increased - 1/2 to 3/4 inch stalks!  However, we have to watch the time they are there carefully to be in compliance with safe manure handling practices.  Asparagus comes up EARLY in the spring!

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm