market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] driveway

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiener, Benjamin L CPT NG NG FORSCOM" <benjamin.l.wiener AT us.army.mil>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] driveway
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 09:08:45 +0300

I agree that for a gravel or similar road, geotextile is the way to go. When
I built my house in 2005, I used local material for much of my driveway,
topped it with geotextile and then added gravel. I'm trying not to have lots
of impermeable surfaces on my small field of hightunnels. The hightunnels
will cover large areas and I don't want to add more by adding a huge gravel
parking area and an access lane. If the rolls of grass protecting mat are
simular in price to the geotextile I'll go that route. I think I can turn a
plow furrow into the row on each side, add a thin layer of sand, back blade
it smooth, seed and pack, and cover with the turf protecting mat. Then add a
little compost/sand mix through the mesh and seed over again. I'll access
everything from the back until it is established as I won't have berries to
sell till late summer anyway.

Ben