market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Horseradish

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Horseradish
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 09:52:12 -0400

I have never sold Horseradish and I am curious what people charge as well.  We have a second year plot.

Lucy, last year we waited till after our first frost and then harvested.  Our roots were small compared to this year.  I dug up a single sample and had roots that we let sit for two seasons and saw 500% growth development (by weight).  Any smaller roots, shoots, and tendrils had excellent development the following year.

Our sale of herbs to restaurants has dramatically increased.  We sell our herbs for a dollar an ounce and thus 16.00 a pound.  Not too sure if I would sell horseradish for the same. Next year we will be investing more in such crops.

I hope you weathered that last batch of rain well and temps don't dip too low the next couple of weeks.

Cheers!

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio