market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Bagged Salad Mix Regulations

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: deberryemail-website AT yahoo.com
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Bagged Salad Mix Regulations
  • Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 02:23:35 -0700 (PDT)

If you use ice on leafy greens it should be 32F ice like it is right out of an Ice maker.  If the ice has been in a freezer it is probably between -20 and 0F which will burn many lettuces and swiss chard.

I use ice on top of lettuce after washing and cooling.  If you put the ice in water for a few minutes it will come up to 32F and then should be okay to use.

Some lettuces are more sensitive to the cold and physical dammage by the ice.

Charles DeBerry
DeBerry Farm