market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Row cover and Mature Tomato plants

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Robinson <rrobinson AT nasw.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Row cover and Mature Tomato plants
  • Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 16:02:28 -0400

On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 11:43:15 -0700 (PDT), jay sleichter wrote:
> My tomatoes are in hoop buildings and I would like to try to extend my
>season
> past this cold snap.  It is going to be 29-32 for the forecasted lows.  What
> is the best method for putting row cover over mature tomato plants. Just
> drape it over and know you may get some damage from where it touches the
> leaves.  Row cover saved me this spring, I hope it will this fall too.

I'm no apologist for big oil, but it seems to me that this is exactly what
portable kerosene heaters would be for. You could combine with row covers, of
course. For the covers, I've seen growers suspend the cover above the plants,
rather than drape it right on. If the air is still, as it would be in a
tunnel, that should trap the air pretty well. Monofilament in a grid above
the tomatoes might work to provide a quick and easy framework

--
Richard Robinson
http://www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/