market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Planting methods for Salad mix

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: BillOhio <billohio AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Planting methods for Salad mix
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 07:58:13 -0400

Everyone,
I've been meaning to respond to for several days but never seemed to get time to sit down and do it. After the $/sq ft fiasco that David gently pointed out, I took a couple of days just hanging my head in shame ;). I kept thinking that number was wacky, but couldn't figure out what was wrong. In our family that's called a Huhman error, leading to the saying "To err is Huhman", etc.

Jay asked
        What varieties of red lettuce are you growing? Right now we've got Lollo di Vino, Lollo Rossa, Red Salad Bowl, Red Fire Leaf, Hyper Red Rumple Wave, Red Sails, and Red-Tinged Winter.

also
        Do you set out your seedlings in a high tunnel or greenhouse or keep them under lights?   --
I've done it several ways. Built a 12x12 structure that we started plants in 2 years ago, as in this pic of spinach seedlings which we started in the ground in a mixture of rotted wood chips and compost    http://picasaweb.google.com/BillOhio/GreenhousePics#5126131075961341906 . I work for a youth correctional facility with a greenhouse that was not being used, and this past spring I agreed to show facility youth how to start plants in return for being allowed to start my own as well, which was a win/win. In the past, we've started them in the dining room under lights.

I'm starting in deep 288s, potting up early plants to 72s to set out in late Feb/early March in low tunnels, and setting out plugs later on. Spacing is a staggered 6x6 pattern in 4' raised beds.

As far as selling the crop coming on now, nobody else has had greens in months and I've got lots of tomatoes for BLTs, which is good, but customers can buy lots of other things too, which will probably cut demand. I figure I'll go with the same $4.50 a bag that we charge in the spring and adjust if needed. Linda and I can eat a LOT of wilted lettuce, if it doesn't sell. Figuring out what price will work is like examining entrails to predict the future -- arcane and mysterious.

Michelle asked
    about sources for salad mixes. I've not purchased these, but they are available from most of the seed catalogs we get.
    about our beds--yes they're raised beds 48" wide. We've got pics somewhere and keep meaning to post them on picasa. The lettuce crop this spring was raised in the middle 3 beds of this area, which had an early potato crop when we took the pic a couple of years ago--
http://picasaweb.google.com/BillOhio/GardenPics#5126539651905243986

Richard -- The Asian greens sound like a winner, and we'll try them next year. Thanks! It's usually hot here too, though this year the weather has been pretty weird. My mustard varieties bolt pretty fast in the summertime. We also raise Swiss chard, and even sell some when we can convince people to try it. Your board method sounds interesting. I keep thinking shade cloth or even planting in a shady area would work, but so far it's not gotten done. Thinning lettuce is one of my least-favorite chores, and so I was looking for a way to get away from having to do that. Hopefully I'll need a honey house soon. Would be nice to be able to combine that with a prep area for veggies to be able to use it more of the year...

David -- Thanks for catching that math mistake! Your analysis of productivity and methods is really helpful. The area available here for high-value crops is pretty limited, so I've always gone high-density rather than low-labor. That's starting to catch up with me. Our 12-acre property is very narrow and roughly 1/3-mile long, with a 2-acre field in the very back and only about a quarter acre near the house in production. That back field is fairly fertile, but there is no water available, and I've only grown potatoes and garlic there so far. A neighbor had cash-rented it since before we bought the place 17 years ago and the Johnson grass has been a challenge getting under control since I took it back 3 years ago. Also, I keep seeing deer tracks back there. I don't even know what some of the implements you mention are--more late-night reading coming up, sounds like. I thought about the hamburger lettuce issue after hitting <Send>...sigh...We do tell customers everything needs to be washed before being eaten. OTOH, we use no pesticides, and I do graze as I harvest if I'm hungry or taste-testing.

Someone asked how large the lettuce leaves are. Some of them won't fit a gallon bag without folding them. Picking a cooler full can be pretty fast and painless.

Again, sorry about the late responses. Hopefully I've answered everyone. This exchange has been enlightening to Linda and myself.

Bill Huhman

central Ohio

http://picasaweb.google.com/billohio

twitter:  FarmerBillOhio