market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Planting methods for Salad mix

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: SaladG AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Planting methods for Salad mix
  • Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 20:57:05 EDT

I live in western Iowa zone 4 on the Nishnabotna river bottom and we use transplant for all of our lettuce.  Plant outside on white on black plastic putting 4 rows on one 36" wide plastic.  In hoophouses we lay down pages of the Sunday paper and plant through it, wetting down really good after we plant, to keep the paper in place and soaking everything up really good.  We plant around 10 flats a week using 96 cell flats, and keep this routine up all summer, when it gets hot we germinate in the basement under lights.  We average 40#of mix every week and cut with a scissors and wash in cold water out of the field and spin dry and package in 5# bags.  We dump these packages in a large basket and hand package at the booth what the customer wants, 1/4#, 1/2# , and 1# quantities.   Most lettuces we will get two cuts from it but this year we could get a little more cuts from some variety's with all the rain.
,
I feel everyone has to work out their own system depending on one's on labor source and the time that is available to get accomplish your goal for each individual crop.

Phil from Iowa