market-farming - [Market-farming] Planting methods for Salad mix

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Chris Corbin <corbincdc AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Planting methods for Salad mix
  • Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 15:05:42 -0500

Hello all,

I live in Ames, Iowa (Zone 5) on a two acre veg farm.  Our major constraint is obviously the amount of available land so we have to intensively manage every foot.  We have been planting salad mix at 4 rows per bed.  I have been reading about people planting  up to 12 rows per bed.

My Questions for those that have planted at this density:

1) Is this a better solution for weed control?
2) Do you get more pounds per foot?
3) What are the challenges with this type of system?
4) Do you only cut the area once and then replant or can it be cut multiple times?
5) Other advice website suggestions, books?

Thanks

--
Chris Corbin
Onion Creek Farm