market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] spinach from transplant??

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <aballiett AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] spinach from transplant??
  • Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 07:18:21 -0400

Pam - What fertilizer mix do you use on your spinach seedlings in speedlings? -Allan in WV

We often transplant spinach, in spring and in the fall. In the spring
we transplant plugs (Speedling 200s) or bare-rooted from seedlings
started in the ground in our hoophouse. In the fall we transplant from
one place to another outside, because we often get patchy germination.
Grasshoppers don't help! We're zone 7, central Virginia. I reckon 9/20
as our last date for sowing, for early spring harvest. Earlier sowings
provide late fall and winter leaf harvesting from plants under hoops
and rowcover.

Pam, Twin Oaks, Louisa, Virginia