market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] irrigation

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] irrigation
  • Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 15:33:15 -0400

On Aug 20, 2009, at 12:18 PM, Etienne Goyer wrote:

Road's End Farm wrote:
I'd recommend getting a heavier weight if you want to leave it in place
for more than one year, and not the very lightest weight unless you want
to be super careful with it. I use 10 mil in most applications and 15
mil if I want it to stay put for several years.

Do you think a 15 mil tape buried 4-6" underground could survive for
three years of continuous use? Would winter freeze damage it?

I am asking because I could envision burying the tape at the time I
prepare the bed, keeping them in use for all three year of the rotation
(while only tilling shallowly) and removing them only before putting the
parcel back in green manure.

I am sure winter freeze won't damage it, at least while it's not pressurized, as I've frequently re-used tape that was in place through the winter.

I've never buried it; I leave it on the surface (though sometimes it's under plastic mulch, and the plastic layer does partially bury it). I've had it last 3 years in strawberry plantings, 15 mil surface laid, needing occasional repairs but not too bad (and most of the repairs due to damage while weeding). I believe however that it can be used buried. I would check with a good irrigation supplier; they should be able to tell you. Or maybe someone on this list has used it buried.

One thing that does occur to me is that if it does spring a leak 6" below ground (some critters will chew into it) it's going to be harder to find and repair the leak than if it's on the surface; also, you'll probably have a larger overly-wet area before you realize the leak is there. On the other hand, you won't accidentally clobber it with whatever you use to cultivate with, if it's down there.

-- Rivka; Finger Lakes NY, Zone 5 mostly (where it's just started to rain. Again. Thank you very much for the last inch and a quarter, but please could you stop now for a while? Speaking of cultivating, I can't get any of it done.)