market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] irrigation

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Etienne Goyer <etienne.goyer AT outlands.ca>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] irrigation
  • Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 12:18:58 -0400

I am an aspiring market farmer, and do not have any experience with drip
irrigation yet. This particular comment picked my curiosity:

Road's End Farm wrote:
> I'd recommend getting a heavier weight if you want to leave it in place
> for more than one year, and not the very lightest weight unless you want
> to be super careful with it. I use 10 mil in most applications and 15
> mil if I want it to stay put for several years.

Do you think a 15 mil tape buried 4-6" underground could survive for
three years of continuous use? Would winter freeze damage it?

I am asking because I could envision burying the tape at the time I
prepare the bed, keeping them in use for all three year of the rotation
(while only tilling shallowly) and removing them only before putting the
parcel back in green manure.

This sounds like a great time-saver, but I am not sure how practical the
idea really is.

Thanks for sharing your experience,

Etienne