market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Basil Downy Mildew

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "David Inglis" <mhcsa AT verizon.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Basil Downy Mildew
  • Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 14:59:16 -0400

Allan,
In a situation like yours [leaf disease and or going to seed] I whack the
basil back to a couple of buds with a scythe or felco clippers , remove all
the debris, treat the remaining growth and wait for the re growth. Then I
pick like I would at the very beginning of the season ie pinch any growth
back to the previous node which will have two growing points. This removes
growth before it gets tainted. The plant will put out new growth quickly
because it has a huge root system already established. Usually the plant is
fully recovered in time to be pulled for pesto season. I establish two
separated plantings so I can harvest one while the other is recovering.
I heard that the basil wood can be used for BBQ fuel. That seems too foo foo
to me, a bit like the 'gourmand charcoal briquettes' I just saw at our local
co op; each to his own I guess.
Dave

Dave Inglis
www.mahaiweharvest.com