market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Tractor for subsoiler/chisel plow

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Tractor for subsoiler/chisel plow
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 05:18:54 -0500

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 07:56:50PM -0700, Chris O'Brien wrote:
> Willie: You mentioned that you used a 1-shank subsoiler for many years with
> a 25 horse tractor. How large of an area were you working up? Also, I
> imagine that it depends upon soil type and conditions, but how close did you
> have to make successive passes to get good loosening action down deep?

I've used the subsoiler on the 25hp tractor for several tasks:
1) Laying black plastic pipe; with some exhaust pipe attached to the
plow. I've done thousands of feet of 1" pipe. I would make multiple
passes over the route to get to the desired depth, then a final pass to
lay pipe. Typically five or more passes. This was on poor and
undisturbed soil.
2) Chiseling out peach tree rows preparatory to planting. Many
thousands feet. This would be on good sandy soil with only patches of
shallow clay. Still, several passes to get to full depth.
3) Chiseling out vegetable rows. This would be generally poorer
(heavier) soil than that for peaches, but would be mostly freshly
bulldozer root plowed. Several passes required. Great distances
though, 5' row spacing in a total of maybe 50 acres.

I don't attempt to subsoil the non-crop, wheel track areas. Only the
centers of the crop rows. I don't subsoil every year but always do it
the first time a field is prepared. Afterwards, maybe once every five
years. Since I've acquired larger tractors, I rarely use the subsoiler
on the 25hp. I do regularly use it on 35hp and 40hp Zetors as well as
my "big" 50hp. Even with the larger tractors, I usually make two or
more passes; there are always troublesome spots.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime 590 days 22 hours 45 minutes