market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Farm Stand Honor System

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <sunnfarm AT netscape.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Farm Stand Honor System
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 07:06:56 -0700

I sell all my veggies through the honor system. I bolt a small mailbox to a post at the stand with a slot cut in the top for cash and the door has a small pad lock. Prices have to be in even units and priced by the piece not the pound. Leaves me free to work the fields and restock the stand all day. I always empty the box often and never let cash build up. I found it a good idea to show up and serve in person now and then to keep people honest and to do the mandatory farmer to consumer chat. I always unlock the box in the evening so if someone comes in the night they won't have to bust the box to find nothing. Some people cheat. some people put fake money in the box some people are not worthy of honor or respect. I just pity them and pray for their families. Thankfully I have few of them. Most people really like the fact that I trust them especially the folks I get from Philadelphia and New York city... Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.