market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Farm Stand Honor System

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Andy Fellenz <fellenz AT fltg.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Farm Stand Honor System
  • Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 10:04:21 -0400

I think it really depends upon the area you live in. I'm in the Finger Lakes and most small stands operate on the honor system. There is a can or lock-box to put the money in and most people are honest. We've had a roadside stand to take our leftovers from our CSAs for the past few years. We usually do a few thousand a year with it and have never lost more than 3-5% to people helping themselves.

Andy

Judy wrote:
Would some of you share how you set up your on-farm stands using the honor system? How do you let folks know about it without risking unsavory types coming to dip in the till? Thanks, all ideas appreciated. Thanks for all the sharing that's done by everyone on this site! Judy