market-farming - [Market-farming] CSA Broccoli Question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <aballiett AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] CSA Broccoli Question
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 16:13:40 -0400

The county extension agent once told me that only a fool trys to grow broccoli or cauliflower in the mid-Atlantic in the spring. I don't doubt that he is wrong.

I didnt' check on my several thousand plants for a couple of days and when I did...ouch! Rows of sprays of yellow flowers and just a few moderate sized tight heads.

It's early in the season and, assuming it is too late and too hot to hope for cut-and-come-again side shoots, I hate to just pull the whole planting and pitch it.

I remember that many people like the whole brocolli plant to slice and stir fry. I'm also wondering about blender brocolli soups

Any ideas?

Thanks - Allan in WV