market-farming - [Market-farming] Stretches for Farmers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <aballiett AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Stretches for Farmers
  • Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 06:59:58 -0400

After Sora's stretch suggestions for curing plantar faciitis and then getting up this morning after a 14 hour day mostly being drug behind the rotary plow and finding my achills tendons shortened enough to make me stoop over as I walked, I realize how much I need a stretching routine.

After giving myself permanent back damage through a misunderstanding of one of the positions in Salutation to the Sun in my self-taught yoga routine almost 20 years ago (best said that in the middle of the routine I some how decided that I needed pain for gain), I'm rather hesitant to start something on my own.

But, boy, if I don't have time for a pedicure, I really don't have time for a daily yoga class!

I'm wondering if anyone has or has heard of a stretching routine especially for market farmers (or maybe hod carriers).

I should say here that both my wife and myself were diagnosed with either heel spurs or plantar faciitis, myself so bad that at one point I almost couldn't walk out of a field I'd just finished tilling. I thought we were goners, fer sure, but one visit to a very good Rolfer and neither of us have had more than ocassional symptoms in the past long time.

Sometimes I get what must be tendonitis in my hands. (Can't really close them and can feel the tendons snapping around on the back of my hand like rusty cables.) A simple achilles tendon stretch, like most runners do before a run, corrects this problem for, sometimes, month. I seldom stretch for more than a couple of minutes and, damn me, I always forget to stretch daily. Such a lesson, though: by stretching my heels I've freed up tight tendons in the backs of my hands! (Confirmed as anatomically correct by my Rolfer, btw)

Allan in WV, who is about to go stand on the steps and stretch his feet