market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Transplants

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz" <liz AT horseshoegardens.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Transplants
  • Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 11:55:18 -0400

Hey Sheila,

We've had a crash course in selling transplants the past few weeks.  We have over 50 varieties of tomato transplants--7 hybrids, the rest heirloom.  We encountered 2 issues, one with much larger transplants, and the other with much smaller transplants in comparison to the other vendors.

Most of our transplants were/are WAY much larger than others at market.  I've never had the full luxury of starting plants in heated greenhouse space so I wasn't sure about when I should start seeding; plants grew much faster than anticipated.  We only used fish emulsion and a really good organic growing mix and didn't expect such happy growth.  We had full-size, very healthy transplants at 4 weeks--2 weeks sooner than could be planted in the market area!  Not only did the plants grow much faster but we also started them much earlier than necessary since I was afraid we'd miss the window for transplants at our market.  We're 2 zones above the market area.  Many customers have been thrilled about the much larger transplants as compared to what other vendors offered, but knowledgeable customers did not want transplant at that size.  They quickly overcame that hesitancy after we instructed them to pinch off the lower leaves and plant up to the growth center which would result in a thicker stem.

Our second issue with much smaller transplants as compared to most of what we offered came about when it became evident we had a much longer transplant selling season than we thought.  And we were quickly selling out of popular varieties...I'd started 6000 plants, I thought that was enough!!  I'd figured new market, new growers, it would take awhile for customers to warm up to us, but we started off with a bang that hasn't let up.  We've been selling multiple flats to farmers/vendors also which resulted in depleted inventory.  After realizing I'd forgotten some key varieties such as Sun Gold, I quickly started a new batch of seeds 4 weeks ago which we just took to market yesterday.  These transplants have their second set of true leaves, much smaller plants than our other transplants.  In anticipation of customers' reluctance to purchase "small" starts, I made up signs with attractive descriptions of these varieties which made them WANT to buy these, and we let them know that the transplant season doesn't end for another month so these smaller plants will catch up quickly.

Even yesterday we still had folks telling us they'd be back in a couple of weeks as they'd not put in their gardens yet and didn't normally until the end of May so they were happy to see young transplants.  We also had an ag agent stop by to chat and he told me he'd started advising gardeners who called in about blight problems to rip out the old plants and put in new and to also do this for fall gardens, which means an even longer, albeit smaller, transplant selling season for savvy growers.

I wouldn't say anything about roots not filling the pot.  The customer is only interested in a healthy plant that will transplant well and produce in their garden--much better to have a bit of loose soil than root-bound plants!  If you don't want to bring young plants to market, put up signs alerting customers to when your transplants will arrive.  Regular customers who like to buy from you may delay their planting until they can spend their money with you!

just our experience...

Liz Pike
Horseshoe Gardens
Hillsville VA