market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] clamshell strawberry boxes, was Trellis netting

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marie Kamphefner" <kampy AT grm.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] clamshell strawberry boxes, was Trellis netting
  • Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 11:46:56 -0500

Regards to the list:

I really like the clamshells. It's one less thing to keep track of (the lid)
and they close tight. Our customers wash them and return them to us, so I
think it's a win/win situation. The pulp boxes get stained and you can't
stack them. I too, am concerned about the use of plastics, but as long as I
deliver 100 miles, this is our best solution right now.

We don't empty the boxes into the customers' bags. Our strawberries are
really ripe when we take them to market or deliver to CSA members and I
think it would ruin them to not be protected by the box. We just ask the
people to return the boxes and they do for the most part. Sometimes the
customers return the boxes within a few minutes. :-D

We also use the boxes for other berries, little okra, edamame and other
small stuff.

Thank you for the posts!

Marie in Missouri