market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Farmers Market Vendor Fees

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Farmers Market Vendor Fees
  • Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 09:31:36 -0400

One market, $25 annually plus $5 per week that I'm actually there. The other market, $25 annually plus $8 per week that I'm actually there, for a larger market space (the first market doesn't have larger spaces available).

Both of these are small markets in small towns. The first one has about 12 to 15 vendors. The second is a new startup expected to start with about 6 to 10 vendors.

The newer market requires vendors to have insurance that names the market. The older market doesn't. Both markets have their own insurance; pay for some advertising; have volunteer managers. Both are local-only markets, and require vendors to bring mostly their own product (percentages vary) and any purchased product must be from the local area; both accept baked goods and crafters as well as farmers. I think that local crafts add to a market. The new market requires at least half the vendors to be farmers; the older one has no rule on the subject, but has been running for over 30 years without a problem in this area, at about two-thirds farmer members (including produce, nursery, flowers, honey, wool, etc.), though the exact percentage varies.