market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] seeders

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] seeders
  • Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 09:13:30 -0400

I use an Earthway seeder in rocky uneven soil. It's not a precision tool, but does well for me.

A major factor that inclines me to the Earthway is that I'm often planting a little bit each of a number of different varieties on the same day. It's much easier with the Earthway than with the Planet Junior to empty excess seed back into the packet in the middle of the field. I haven't tried some of the others people have been discussing; though I have been told that at least some of the precision seeders will not work on rocky or uneven soil.

I've had the same one for well over twenty years; I think in that time I did once need to replace a part, but can't now remember what it was. It needs to be taken apart and cleaned thoroughly about once a year -- I finally figured out that not doing this was why I'd been having increasing problems with seed refusing to feed through properly.

I would just get all the seed plates at once, unless you're sure you never want to plant any of the crops that the extra set is designed for.