market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] seeders

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] seeders
  • Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 19:17:04 -0400

On Mar 28, 2009, at 5:31 PM, Megan Haney wrote:

Hi all,
This is my first time submitting; hope it goes through.
I have had no trouble using Earthway on small-mustard-family seeds SINCE:
I went back to the instructions it came with, after a very unsatisfactory first pass (seeds getting caught and crunched behind the plate just as Chris from Wisconsin says)
and found the advice to first put the plate in highly soapy water for a while, then to let it airdry.
I found that worked perfectly and repeat that once a year.
The residue of the soap is apparently just enough to prevent the problem with the small-seeded stuff.
Hope this works for others.

Thanks! When I wash mine this year, I'll try saving some time by not rinsing the plates and hopper off before reassembly. I've never had problems with the small mustard family seeds in any case, though it's possible I'm just not using the particular strains others have had trouble with; but have sometimes had problems with peas and soybeans (though cleaning the thing annually helps a good deal).