market-farming - [Market-farming] Cell Phones and Farming.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <aballiett AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Cell Phones and Farming.
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 21:54:52 -0400

Perhaps I am a dreadful person to work for.

Let me know.

In the meantime, I'm wondering how the rest of you handle employees with cell phones.

Cell phones can be very valuable, of course, In theory, I can call an employee when I'm off the phone and ask them to check water or ask them to move to a different task. At the same time, someone else can call an employee while he's working for me and ask him all sorts of things.

It's getting pretty disheartening to realize how many times I go to check an employee's progress doing something like planting onion bulbs only to find them smiling away into a tiny cell phone while they poke a bulb into the ground ocassionally with the other hand. Even worse, though, is the person who gets a call and then is upset and unproductive the rest of they day. College girls do this quite often, at least in my experience.

It wasn't until I saw TROPICAL THUNDER that I even though about having a big zip lock bag that everyone is asked to drop their cell phones into every day. Why not? When I worked in offices, it was never cool to have personal calls on the landlines, as I remember it.

But in a world where it is hard enough to find help, I hate to think that I'm developing unreasonable standards.

What do you think?

-Allan in WV