market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Wages

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <aballiett AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Wages
  • Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 01:07:59 -0400

Andy - I'm currently working with a 'bonus' system that pays a $2 an hour bonus every time 40 hours are completed without a tardy or an absence. It makes for a pretty solid monthly check, if you can come to work on time. We offer insurance, as well. It is hard for me to understand how you could give up your time to wait for the arrival for a tardy person, though. I assume that you are not as diversified as we are.

What sort of wages are you paying that allows you to acquire quality workers?

To tell you the truth, I haven't noticed any difference in what we pay and it's that fact that has caused me to look for the lowest possible wage and/or to work with a bonus system rather than a wage system.

Thanks for your ideas and experiences.

-Allan in WV

You need to start fishing in a different part of the wage pool. If you
pay junk, that's what you'll get. In a previous career I was involved
in hiring and managing hourly employees for factory work and always
found that by going a few dollars an hour above the local prevailing
wage I would gain access to a much higher quality employee. If you
can't afford to pay a higher wage, you need to look at what you can do
to make your farm a preferred work place.