market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Seed Storage

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Bobbett <bobbett AT alltel.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Seed Storage
  • Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 13:32:31 -0500

Marie Kamphefner wrote:

How do you keep all the seeds straight?

I got these as a Christmas present for two years in a row (so I have a lot):
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=44948&cat=1,43326

I love them for the neat way they store all the seeds that I grow and save.
For bigger seeds, such as corn, beans, etc., I just use paper bags lines up in a row and labeled.
For bought seeds in packets, I have two plastic boxes, shoe size, that I made dividers and label tabs for. I put the seeds in there in their appropriate sections, and they're easy to skim through with my finger tips.
When my seeds get more than 2yo old, I keep them in a slightly bigger plastic box just for 'older seeds'.
All my seeds are stored in the coolest, unheated room of the house which tends to be about 50 degrees in the wintertime.

hth,
Bobbett, KY zone 6
http://www.localharvest.org/store/M19189&ul