market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] A question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] A question
  • Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 11:47:05 -0500

A proposed bill affecting anyone all small farmers and all gardeners who
grow heirloom seeds:

Farm to Consumer Legal Defense Fund:

On February 4, 2009 Representative Rosa DeLauro (D-CT) introduced the
Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009 (HR 875), a bill that would establish
the Food Safety Administration (FSA) within the Department of Health and
Human Services (DHHS). HR 875 represents a tremendous expansion of federal
power, particularly the power to regulate intrastate commerce. While the
proposed legislation tries to address the many problems of the industrial
food system, the impact on small farms if the bill becomes law would be
substantial and not for the better. HR 875 is a major threat to sustainable
farming and the local food movement.

And:

The burdensome requirements the bill imposes on small farms and the
intrusive federal control it creates over small farm operations threaten
the future viability of sustainable agriculture and the local food
movement. HR 875 has been assigned to both the House Committee on Energy
and Commerce and the House Committee on Agriculture. It needs to be
stopped. Anyone who values freedom of food choice and the rights and
independence of small farmers should contact their elected representatives
and the members of the two committees to ask that they oppose HR 875.

The bill itself can be read here:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/thomas [Type: 'Food Safety Modernization'
into the search box.]

It's long and complicated; I just don't have time to read it this morning.
I'll read it this afternoon when my chores are finished.

If you feel that it's a bad bill, email your representative or phone him.
You can find their email addresses and phone numbers here:

www.house.gov

It would be a good idea also to email your Senators or phone them:

www.senate.gov.

Pat

-- North-Central Pennsylvania, USA
www.meadows.pair.com/articleindex.html

The world has enough for everyone's need,
but not enough for everyone's greed.

Attributed to Mahatma Gandhi.