market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Marking supplies

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Dave & Katharine Campbell" <dave.kathy AT att.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Marking supplies
  • Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2009 15:50:55 +0000

Yeah, I hate to find busted up fragments of old non-biodegradable markers in my vegetable plots!  I've stopped using plastic and wire markers of any kind because of that. Oh, I DO clean up at the end of each season but always seem to miss some! Never tried the blind segments, but they sound fine for end-of-row markers.  End of row markers are easy to retrieve; its the within-row markers (delineating individual strains of this and that) that I'm talking about here.
Anyhow, I get packs of wooden tongue depressors from the local arts&crafts store, and label them using sharpies.  Much cheaper than 4" or 6" wooden labels listed in gardening catalogs!  They go within rows whereever the variety changes.  Too, each tomato, eggplant, pepper, etc. that starts in pots has its own label that stays with it after transplanting, all season.  Because I do lots of comparison or varieties I need to keep track just which strain was which, and the wooden labels let me do that.  By the end of season, tho, their usefulness is over and they are pretty well gone.
==Dave Campbell   Tiffin IA   Zone 5b
-------------- Original message from Garth & Kim Travis <gartht AT txcyber.com>: --------------