market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Marking supplies

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Kathy Somers" <somersfarm AT dishmail.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Marking supplies
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 14:34:44 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "Pat Meadows" <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2009 1:13 PM

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 08:33:52 -0700, you wrote:

I do a whole lot of my gardening in SWCs (the so-called, but misnamed,
Self-Watering Containers) and I number the SWCs for record-keeping
purposes. So maybe I'll use paint pens on containers for writing large,
and the markers for the plant labels.

SWC info for those who may be interested:

www.meadows.pair.com/swcreport.html .

Hi Pat,
We have two greenhouses which we use to grow tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers. We did invest in earthboxes. We have had them for many years and they look as new as the day we purchased them. I have been very impressed with the yield. One thing I have never done and was wondering if you have done is this. The earthbox company says that the next year you don't have to change out all of the old potting soil, but just the top portion. I have been too afraid to do this because of a fear of disease etc: What have you experienced with your SWC's? We also have two unheated high tunnels which we do grow directly in the soil, but the tomatoes in the SWCs far exceed in harvest each year! Thanks for the info. Perhaps we will try to make some of our own if and when we need more.
Kathy Somers
Vermont