market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] heat mats

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Square Ft Gardening" <mike_jordan AT squareftgardening.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] heat mats
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 17:26:49 -0600

I use heat mats for both seedlings and to get my plants through the winter.  When you are ready to buy make sure you check around.  I just bought some for seedlings, the 9”x20” or somewhere in that vicinity.  Cost per with shipping and handling can go as high as $45.  I got mine with both s&h for $30 a piece.  I also use heat cables but I don’t find they are very effective unless they are right in the soil.

“How many at once?” I have 5 of the 4ft ones layed along my benchs on one side of my greenhouse.  “along the length or width?”  I like to try to use as much of the mat surface as I can.  The ones for seedling flats are meant to be the the size of a flat thus it fits to cover the whole mat.  I have used the temp.  regulators but have found that you don’t really need them.  Some people might say that they use a lot of electricity but (I’m sure someone will correct this if it is wrong) I believe they run on 40 Watts

Hope this helps

Mike Jordan

ContinuousHarvest.com