market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] heat mats

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Shawnee Flowerfarmer <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] heat mats
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 19:28:53 -0600

Heat mats not only speed up germination, but also help with disease problems by keeping the seed at proper temperatures.  I also rotated flats on and off the mats fairly quickly...growing them on cooler once germination occurred.  (My set-up has a an adjustable thermostat).  Over time, the cost of the heat mat can be justified by the increase in germination and reduction of losses to damping off etc.
Heat cables are fiddly to use, usually have a pre-set temperature-handier for in-ground beds where you can stretch them out.  I do remember someone posting a link to a homemade germination box that featured Christmas lights which looked like a neat idea....was that in 2004 or 2005?

Shawnee, wearing 3 layers of clothes while feeding a  hungry woodstove in the greenhouse, Zone 5

Windows Liveā„¢ HotmailĀ®: Chat. Store. Share. Do more with mail. See how it works.