market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Overwintering root crops

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "breck" <bcarden AT breckinridgegroup.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Overwintering root crops
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 11:51:39 -0500

Thanks for the link to http://www.nevegetable.org/

Farmer Breck

-----Original Message-----
From: market-farming-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:market-farming-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Sharon and
Steve
Sent: Sunday, January 04, 2009 9:41 PM
To: Market Farming

At 45 degrees north:

Bales of hay on top of carrot or parsnip rows will prevent freezing and can
be dug any time during the winter
and the flavor is improved by the cold. That is an expensive conveniencefor
a home supply, for commercial amounts you will need to experiment to see
what kind and how much is enough mulch at your place. The parsnips will
survive without the mulch but you have to wait for the ground to thaw before

digging, carrots generaly dont make it without help.

Spinach will generally make a good crop from fall planting., fortunately
Bloomsdale is one of the best for that, and also one of the cheapest so you
will not be out much if you lose a few acres.

Do you have:
Vegetable Management Guide 2008-2009

http://www.nevegetable.org/

MAsteveINE

I got a letter from a lightning rod company this morning trying to put
the fear of God in me, but with little success. Lightning seems to
have lost its menace. Compared to what is going on on earth today,
heaven's firebrands are penny fireworks with wet fuses.
E. B. White 1938