market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Farm Dogs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marcy" <mlynn AT pcisys.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Farm Dogs
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 08:31:39 -0700

Sorry to hear about your dog Marie.  We just got two pyr pups this last fall – but because the coyotes eating our chickens – they were climbing over the electric netting!  So far the deer around us stay in the cornfields.

I’m very curious about the deer though because friends of our have a major problem with deer on their farm and lost a beautiful lettuce crop (among other things) last summer when the deer came through and took a bite out of each.  So did Minnie just keep them away by herself or did you train her? We had talked to someone else who mentioned that digging might be a problem with Pyrenees as well?  Do you have other GPs?  Did  you walk the perimeter with her?  Does just the smell of a dog around keep them away?
Anyone else have experience with dogs, deer & gardens?

Thanks Marie!
Marcy

SE Colo – 44 with moisture headed our way (we’ll see)

On Behalf Of Marie Kamphefner