market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Farm Dogs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Farm Dogs
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2009 11:23:00 -0500

On Sat, 3 Jan 2009 08:31:39 -0700, you wrote:

>with her? Does just the smell of a dog around keep them away?
>Anyone else have experience with dogs, deer & gardens?

We have a four-foot fence around our backyard. This, of course, is no
barrier to a deer. We have two dogs - the dogs sleep in the house at
night. In the summer, they spend most of their time outdoors.

The smell of the dogs appears to keep the deer out of our garden, although
we see deer every day. We have not had any deer trouble in the eight years
we have lived here.

We live in northern Pennsylvania (*very* rural area, low-population
density). The deer here have enough to eat, generally. Deer in other
areas are far voracious, and much bolder.

In northern New Jersey, when I lived there, our house was built on a former
apple orchard. We still had old apple trees, untended. There, we had two
German Shepherds and another smaller dog. The deer there would eat the
apples from the ground, totally uncaring that the three dogs were barking
at them hysterically (inside a 6' chain link fence). The deer would be six
feet away from the dogs and totally calm about eating the apples.

So I think it varies with individual deer populations.

Pat
--
In Pennsylvania's Northern Tier, northeastern USA.
Website: www.meadows.pair.com/articleindex.html

What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide
what kind of difference you want to make. - Jane Goodall