market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Overwintering root crops

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "SUE WELLS" <farmersue AT verizon.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Overwintering root crops
  • Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2009 17:00:00 -0500

HI John

I also live in Vermont. If garlic is not planted in the fall, the bulbs will be small if planted in the Spring. I always plant garlic in the fall. I have left some onions over winter in the ground, they come up as green onions in the Spring. We love any kind of onions, so that is good for us.

As far as other vegetables, I don’t know, as the ground is always too frozen to get any out during the winter months. Unless they are planted in a greenhouse. If I leave my root crops in the ground very long in the fall, the deer gets to them.

Sue

Vermont